Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Off the shelf: June reads



Let me preface this post by saying that if you weren't aware I was a super nerd before, you will be convinced after you read this whole post.

So, I decided that it'd be a good idea to write up a little post to show you what I'm currently reading.  But then I realized that no one is interested in seeing photos of my nook (which is an e-reader you perv).  So I extended it into what visually appealing books I'm reading in a month.

By the way - my current nook book is "A Game of Thrones", the first of the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series.  In case you were curious.

On to more pretty picture books:



Surprise (but not really surprising)! It's comic books! Yay!

Not just any comic books. DC comic books as trade paperbacks.  I love 'em.  I figured what with the DC reboot on the way, I should stockpile the good series' while I have time to catch up.  Since, you know, they aren't going to do anymore Birds of Prey I hear. (insert pouty face)

First off the shelf, let's take a look at the 2 out of this bunch that I've already read so far this month.

Zatanna: Mistress of Magic and Birds of Prey: Of Like Minds

I've been wanting to read both of these for a while now and Johnboy bought them for me for our anniversary.  That's right, I'm the kind of girl who prefers comic books for romantic gifts.  Without getting into the nitty gritty of each of these books, since I'm not sure anyone cares for me to do so, I'll give you a brief review.

Review: I loved both of these.

Boom. Not enough for you? Well, I really enjoyed Zatanna.  I've been wanting to read stuff from her canon for a long ass time now.  I've considered dressing as her for Halloween once or twice until I realized people would just think I was a slutty magician.  And Birds of Prey? Awesomesauce.  I need to buy the next few books in this particular series like, yesterday.  They're already saved in my Amazon wishlist (you know...in case you wanted to send me something special for no reason).  The dynamic between the ladies in that series is really compelling to me.

And I'm sorry if you think that because the women in comic books are scantilly clad, they're not doing justice to women everywhere.  Because guess what, the women in these comic books (and most that I've read) are just as strong if not stronger than most of their male counter parts.  And they look pretty badass.  No one complains that all the men are in bulge showing tights and leotards. Rant over.

So, the next 2 I'm going to show you I haven't read before.  But I'm really looking forward to based on what I've heard from everyone.

Batman: The Killing Joke and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Yep. Batman.  I love that Caped Crusader.  He has some of the best storylines.  So I borrowed these two books and I know I need to start reading them soon since I'll have to give them back.  But come on, there's a long weekend coming up and I'll be able to finish each one in a day anyway.

In other nerd news.  Remember my idea about a Pyrex birthday? Screw that.  Today I found out that the Chicago Comic Con is the weekend after my birthday and there's a little thing called Buffyfest VIP.  So...yeah.  Count me in! (most likely anyways).

2 comments:

  1. 1) the DC reboot looks like poop.
    2) the Killing Joke and the Dark Knight Returns are a couple of my favorites....you'll love them! Although if you decide to read the second book to TDKR, it's kinda bleh......not Frank Miller's best.
    3) if you haven't read them already, you should check out Kingdom Come by Mark Waid and Alex Ross, along with DC: the New Frontier by Darwyn Cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to add those ones to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete